Outreach, Environment, Genesis Awards, Best Friends
April 20, 2006
Dear Boston Vegetarian Society List,
1) BVS Outreach Update - B.U., UMass, Lexington, Esplanade
2) Earth Day - How Food Choices Impact the Environment
3) Genesis Awards
4) Japanese TV Clip - Best Friends (Cat and Chicken)
1) BVS OUTREACH UPDATE
BVS has booked exhibitor booths at these events. If you know of other college or community events that welcome exhibitors, please let us know!
* Boston University's Earth Day Festival this Friday, April 21, 10 AM - 3 PM at Marsh Plaza on Comm. Ave. If you are at B.U., stop by our table and say hello!
* UMass Boston's "East Meets West" Health Fair on Monday, May 1, 11 AM - 2 PM, in McCormack 1st and 2nd floor hallways. UMass folk, stop by our booth and visit!
* Lexington's Earth Day Festival, 10 AM - 2 PM, Lexington Center
* WBOS Earth Fest on Saturday, May 27, 10 AM - 6 PM, Charles River Esplanade/Hatch Shell
* Our educational display was in Harvard Square for two weeks in March, and is on display in the JP Art Market gallery for the month of April. See the display here (scroll down)
2) EARTH DAY - IMPACT OF FOOD CHOICES ON ENVIRONMENT
It's Earth Day, and the focus is on the environment! Peruse our resource page of info on how animal agriculture pollutes waterways, causes desertification of grasslands, contributes to deforestation and global warming, wastes water and land resources, and much more.
http://www.bostonveg.org/go_veggie.html#motivations (scroll to "Effects on Environment")
Plus this just in from ABC News: April 19, 2006 -- Your personal impact on global warming may be influenced as much by what you eat as by what you drive. Two geophysicists at U. Chicago have taken a look at the production of greenhouse gases. They found that "our consumption of red meat may be as bad for the planet as it is for our bodies. If you want to help lower greenhouse gas emissions, they conclude in a report to be published in the journal Earth Interactions, become a vegetarian". Read the full story:
3) GENESIS AWARDS Known as the "animal friendly Oscars", the 20th Annual Genesis Awards will air Saturday, May 6, at 5 PM on Animal Planet. The Humane Society of the United States invites you to join them as they throw "a star-studded party to honor those in the news and entertainment media who have helped change the world for animals. This year’s Awards recognize many outstanding producers, reporters, and others -- and include a moving tribute to the animal victims and heroes of Hurricane Katrina, as well as the most memorable moments from the show’s two decades".
4) JAPANESE TV - CAT & CHICKEN PALS
Just to bring a smile, here is a charming clip from Japanese TV of a kitten/cat and a chicken who become best friends.