Erik's Top 12 Books, Wegmans Eggs, Cooking Classes, Maine Retreat
July 5, 2006
Dear Boston Vegetarian Society List,
1) Erik Markus' Top Twelve Book Picks
2) Cancer Prevention & Survival Cooking Classes in Boston
3) Maine Island Retreat with Vegan Macrobiotic Meals
1) ERIK'S TOP TWELVE BOOK PICKS
So much terrific feedback on Erik Marcus' talk on June 25! If you missed it, at least you can get here his Top 12 Reading Picks. He began with three cookbooks from which, he said, you could pick any recipe and make it for the first time for company and be confident it is a winner.
* Vegan with a Vengeance - Isa Chandra Moskowitz (of Post Punk Kitchen fame). Isa will be doing a cooking demo and book signing at our Veg Festival in October!
* Vegan Planet - Robin Robertson
* Vive le Vegan - Dreena Burton
* The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter - Peter Singer & Jim Mason. Peter Singer will be speaking (and book signing) at our Veg Festival in October!
* Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy - Matthew Scully
* The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals - Michael Pollan
* Ethics into Action - Peter Singer
* Empty Cages - Tom Regan
* Animal Liberation - Peter Singer
* Essays at Vegan Outreach
* Vegan.com Podcast (Erik's weekly show at
* Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money - Erik Marcus
Erik also spoke of the Wegman's Cruelty case; you can watch the excellent documentary video here:
Erik urged participation in HSUS' Egg Campaign:
2) CANCER PREVENTION & SURVIVAL COOKING CLASSES IN BOSTON
After a June break, the Cancer Project series of vegan nutrition and cooking classes will resume with the final three sessions in Boston. Instructor: Paulette Chandler, MD. (Read about Dr. Chandler at
Scroll to 2 PM) Classes are FREE and include a 10 minute nutrition video, cooking demonstration of 4-5 recipes, and sampling of dishes made. Feedback is excellent on these classes!
LOCATION: Whole Foods (classes will be in the dining area) 181 Cambridge Street in the Charles River Plaza (near Mass General) Boston (Red Line T to Charles/MGH station)
WEDNESDAYS, 7 - 9 PM, FREE 7/12/06: Planning Healthy Meals 7/19/06: Antioxidants and Phytochemicals 7/26/06: Immune-Boosting Foods
Please register for the classes directly with bailey.stoler_AT_wholefoods.com or 617-723-0004.
3) MAINE ISLAND RETREAT WITH VEGAN MACRO MEALS
Enjoy the peace, beauty, and recreation of a Maine Island Retreat with three gourmet vegan meals a day provided by macrobiotic counselor and chef David Snieckus. Savor yin foods and yang foods prepared deliciously and following the macrobiotic approach to health and well being.