Thanksgiving Edition - Phoenix PSA, TG Eating Out, Adopt-A-Turkey, TG Recipes, TG Kids' Books
November 17, 2006
Dear Boston Vegetarian Society List,
Hoping this Thanksgiving Edition E-Newsletter will be useful!
1) Start with a Smile - Thanksgiving E-card
2) Joaquin Phoenix Talks Turkey
3) Dining Out Options for Thanksgiving Day & Pre-TG Specials
4) Adopt-A-Turkey and Other TG Resources + Cartoon
5) Thanksgiving Recipe Websites Galore!
6) Three Thanksgiving Books for Kids
1) THANKSGIVING SONG FROM AMERICAN GREETING
Add a smile to your day with this catchy musical Thanksgiving e-card with a great veg message:
2) JOAQUIN PHOENIX TALKS TURKEY
Here is a holiday commercial (30 seconds) starring Academy Award nominated ("Walk the Line", "Gladiator") actor and vegan Joaquin Phoenix, directed by "Wedding Crashers" director David Dobkin. "Holidays can be murder on turkeys. Let’s make this one for the birds," declares Phoenix.
In this interview, Joaquin talks about the childhood fishing trip that changed his life:
3) DINING OUT OPTIONS FOR THANKSGIVING DAY & PRE-TG SPECIALS
If you want to dine out on Thanksgiving Day, these veg restaurants will be open on the holiday:
Contact info is at
- Grasshopper in Allston (Boston) - Original Buddha's Delight in Chinatown - My Thai Cafe Vegetarian in Brookline (former Buddha's Delight Too) - T.J. Scallywaggle's Vegan House of Pizza and Subs in Allston (Boston)
PRE-Thanksgiving vegan holiday special dinners:
* Vegan Thanksgiving Potluck in Central Mass. on Sunday, November 19, in Grafton, MA. Potluck dinner 5 - 7 PM followed by a music "coffee house" from 7 - 8 PM, which will be an open performance time for everyone to enjoy. Bring a dish to share that is free of meat, poultry, fish, dairy, and eggs. This is a family-friendly event, hosted by Colin and Jennifer McCullough. Location: Unitarian Universalist Church on Grafton Common; call (508) 839-2927 for directions or visit
* Organic Garden Cafe in Beverly MA (North Shore) offers a vegan organic living foods Complete Holiday Meal for takeout (pick up 1 day or 2 days before TG): 1) Turkey-Free Loaf - Fresh Rosemary and Sage highlight this dehydrated specialty made with sunflower seed, walnut, celery, parsnip, carrot and seasonings. 2) Un-Stuffing - featuring Celery, Broccoli, Onion, Walnut, Apple, Cranberry, Rosemary, Sage - Dehydrated. 3) Parsnip "Mashed Potato"- This creamy delight is made with Parsnip, Tahini, (optional Walnut) olive oil, garlic and seasonings. 4) Cranberry Relish w/Orange Zest- Made with both organic fresh and re-hydrated dried cranberries. 5) Corn Chowder and Harvest Carrot Soup. 6) Rich Pecan Mushroom 'Gravy' - Pecan, Portobello, Shitake, Miso, Nutritional Yeast and Seasonings plus Pies, Cookies. Call 978/922-0004 .
* Whole Foods Market offers a take-home Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner for $19.99 which includes a vegan holiday roast stuffed with wild rice and dried cranberries, green beans with almonds, pumpkin corn chowder, and pecan tart. Order by Sunday 11/19 at your local Whole Foods.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/catering/RVR.html (bottom of pg. 2 of PDF)
4) ADOPT-A-TURKEY + OTHER RESOURCES + CARTOON
Start a new Thanksgiving tradition and adopt a rescued turkey from Farm Sanctuary's adoption program. It's a great holiday gift for yourself or someone you love. This web site links to numerous Thanksgiving resources, including a History of Thanksgiving and Turkey Industry Information. Scroll to bottom left for a Bizarro cartoon!
5) THANKSGIVING RECIPE WEBSITES GALORE!
There can be no shortage of ideas for great veggie dishes after browsing these pages!
If you enjoyed Isa Chandra Moscowitz at the Boston Vegetarian Food Festival, you'll love these Thanksgiving recipes from the Post Punk Kitchen
Celebrate a Vegetarian Thanksgiving
VegWeb's Thanksgiving Recipes
Thanksgiving Favorites They'll Really Give Thanks For
Compassionate Thanksgiving Recipes
International Vegetarian Union's Holiday Recipes
What to Serve When Veg'ns Visit at the Holidays
In a Vegetarian Kitchen's Thanksgiving Recipes
Vegetarians in Paradise (scroll down to Thanksgiving)
Essenes Thanksgiving Menu
6) THREE THANKSGIVING BOOKS FOR KIDS
All three of these books have Gentle Thanksgiving themes, and can be ordered from online booksellers or bookstores.
Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy by Lisa Wheeler, Frank Ansley (Illustrator) Ages 4-7
A beautifully illustrated and witty story of a family of turkeys who learns about the hidden side of the holidays.
Publishers Weekly: "This funny tale may well make readers consider the fowl's side of the holiday; they may even spare the turkey".
School Library Journal: "Ansley's pen-and-ink and watercolor cartoons are a riot and elevate the simple plot to high drama. A silly, but thoroughly enjoyable holiday selection".
Booklist - American Library Association "hilarious holiday tale", "Funny from beginning to end, this hits every note smartly", "The last page, which shows the turkeys masquerading as snowmen for the Christmas rush, is a fitting finish. It's hard to imagine story and art working together any better than this. The watercolors move the action right along, and Ansley's got all the turkeys' expressions--pride, fear, horror--down pat".
A Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting, Diane de Groat (Illustrator) Ages 3-6
Mr. and Mrs. Moose invite all their animal friends for Thanksgiving dinner and the only one missing is Turkey. When they set out to find him, Turkey is quaking with fear because he doesn't realize that his hosts want him at their table, not on it.
Publishers Weekly: "The good-natured tale and de Groat's autumn-hued, richly detailed watercolors convey the animals' warm friendship and the humor resulting from the misunderstanding. This ideal family read-aloud will awaken the holiday spirit in all".
School Library Journal: "A mild story with a flowing text and surprise ending". "Humorous double-page spreads in cheerful watercolors show the plump, personable animals in an ice-crusted autumn woodland and a snug country cottage that suits the Mooses and the Goats, who are garbed like Eastern European peasants".
'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving by Dav Pilkey Ages 4-7
This tall tale tells how eight school children on a field trip, their teacher, a turkey farmer named Mack Nuggett, and gobblers Ollie, Stanley, Larry, Moe, Wally, Beaver, Shemp, and Groucho, share in a Thanksgiving all can happily remember.
From Publishers Weekly: "...this story of eight baby turkeys unfolds with joyous abandon and crackling vitality, as eight children embark on a Thanksgiving field trip that will change their lives forever. ... The exuberant turkeys catch the children up in raucous barnyard antics until the merriment is quelled by the sight of the ax. Deeply touched by the turkeys' plight, the children--who have grown mysteriously fatter and have feathers sticking out from under their clothes--board the bus to go back to the city. The next night, family silhouettes can be seen--each with a grateful turkey guest--as "They feasted on veggies / With jelly and toast." This humorous, lighthearted story is adorned with bold, bright illustrations that convey a sense of wacky high-spiritedness sometimes lacking in traditional holiday fare.