Here are informative web sites that can get you started and keep you going as a healthy and happy herbivore!
• Starter Kits and Beginners’ Guides
• Nutrition Pages
• Impact of Food Choices on Animals and the Environment
• What About Fish?
Note: These links are provided for informational purposes only. BVS does not endorse, and has no control over or responsibility for the linked sites or their contents. These websites are not intended as medical advice, and they do not take the place of individualized medical care or advice. People should make dietary changes in consultation with their health professionals.
Vegetarian Starter Kits and Beginners’ Guides
- Vegetarian Starter Kit from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
- Vegan Starter Info from Vegan Outreach
- African American Vegan Starter Guide from By Any Greens Necessary
- Key Info & Essential Advice from Vegan.com
- Guide to Living a Whole Food, Plant-Based Life from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies
- Plant-Based Primer from Forks Over Knives
- A Plant-Based Diet for Beginners: What to Eat, Benefits, & How to Succeed from Food Revolution Network
- Eating Humanely from the Humane Society of the U.S.
- ChooseVeg from Mercy for Animals
- TryVeg from Animal Outlook
- Dr. Greger’s NutritionFacts.org and Nutrition Videos
- Vegan Health: Evidence-Based Nutrient Recommendations
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine: Good Nutrition Resources
- Vegan.com’s Nutrition Guide
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Position Paper on Vegetarian Diets
- T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies
- The Vegan RD Nutrition Primers
- Forks Over Knives
- VegFamily: Ask the Expert
- Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition online course from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies in partnership with eCornell
Impact of Food Choices on Animals and the Environment
Effect on Animals
- What Cody Saw: An Undercover Investigator’s Story
- Farm Sanctuary on Factory Farming
- Animal Outlook’s Investigations
- Vegan Outreach on Animal Farming Practices
- Mercy for Animals Undercover Investigations Videos
- Meet Your Meat: Alec Baldwin narrates a short video introduction to meat production
- PETA’s Undercover Investigations Video Gallery
- Humane Society of the United States
- The Animals Voice: Animals as Food – Images, Videos, Essays, Fact Sheets, includes castration, de-horning, live markets, auctions, transport, slaughter
- Humane Farming Association’s Photo and Video Gallery
- Slaughterhouse Abuse
Effects on the Environment
- New York Times: Rethinking the Meat-Guzzler
- Forbes: Meat And Agriculture Are Worse For The Climate Than Power Generation
- The Guardian: Animal agriculture is choking the Earth and making us sick.
- United Nations Environment Programme: Tackling the world’s most urgent problem: meat
- Scientific American: How Does Meat in the Diet Take an Environmental Toll?
- Pachamama Alliance: How Animal Agriculture Affects Our Planet
- The Conversation: Five ways the meat on your plate is killing the planet
- Sierra Magazine: The CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) Industry’s Impact on the Environment and Public Health (Watch video.)
- Down to Earth: How livestock farming affects the environment
- HSI Report: The Impact of Animal Agriculture on Global Warming and Climate Change
- Environmental Destruction
- United Nations Report: Rearing Cattle Produces More Greenhouse Gases Than Driving Cars
- Eat for the Planet: Saving the World One Bite at a Time (Book)
- Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret (90 minute documentary, watch for free on Netflix here)
What About Fish?
- Plysicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM): Is Fish Really Healthy to Eat?
- PCRM Health and Nutrition News on Fish
- U.K. Guardian: Fish: the forgotten victims on our plate – by Peter Singer
- Investigation Video of Driftnet Fishing
- Investigation Video of Commercial Fish Farms
- Investigation Video of Salmon Aquaculture
- Fish Feel: Comprehensive Website of News, Studies, and Resouces
- L.A. Times (Page 1, col. 1): Fish Farms Become Feedlots of the Sea
- Food & Water Watch: The threat of industrial fish farming
- Commercial Fishing: Long-lines, Gill Nets, Purse Seines, Bottom Trawlers
- HSUS Scientific Report: Fish and Pain Perception
- Seafood Without the Suffering: Vegan Seafood Products
Many of these documentaries can be found on Netflix or viewed online.